Off to the sun in Rio…
Gotcha Smith. You are under arrest and will be spending the next 60 days in the worst prison in Brazil…
From a sauna to a cell block.
You are under arrest Phillip Smith.
Lucky for you NZ police are coming to take you home to NZ in a couple of days or so. These men could have been your cell-mates for a couple of months. They were obviously looking forward to meeting you.
Fugitive Phillip John Smith “looked like a normal tourist” when he checked into a backpacker hostel in Rio de Janeiro
The 40-year-old runaway killer checked into Cidade Maravilhosa Hostel under the name James Andrews in the suburb of Santa Teresa at 11am yesterday and paid with cash.
“He looked like a normal guy with a bag, with a team shirt from a local Rio team,” a spokesperson from the hostel told ONE News. “He seemed like a normal tourist”.
Police were tipped off by a member of the public who recognised Smith after his image had been circulated around hostels.
Police came to the hostel where they found Smith alone in a room and took him into custody. He will spend sixty days in prison while his deportation is discussed.
- Brazilians eager to arrest fugitive Smith (radionz.co.nz)
- International hunt is on for NZ murderer (news.com.au)
- Convicted murderer and pedophile flees NZ (news.com.au)
- Things To Do In Rio De Janeiro (reach-yourpeak.com)
- VIDEO: Three tonnes of drugs at Rio airport (bbc.co.uk)
- Rio de Janeiro Militias Muscle in on Brazil Elections (stratrisks.com)
- Bali Hai Meets Rio de Janeiro (tangiyoga.wordpress.com)
- Wanderlust Wednesday: Rio de Janeiro (headoutwest.wordpress.com)
- Kiwi fugitive Phillip Smith arrested in Rio backpackers hostel – will spend 60 days in prison in Brazil… (huttswritinglounge.wordpress.com)